The surgical center project started in 2015 whenUgandan President Yoweri Museveni made his first official visit to Holy Innocents Children’s Hospital and laid the cornerstone for construction of the surgical center. In October 2015 Archbishop Paul Bakyengaof Mbarara archdiocese blessed the groundbreaking ceremony and construction began.
Highlights of Surgical Center Project
- In October 2016 through support from the Rotary Club of Fallbrook we received a donation of surgical equipment.
- In November 2016 we received a container full of equipment including the laminar flow. Technicians from Vivid Air in South Africa arrived to do preliminary work for installation of the laminar flow equipment.
- Installation of the vacuum pump and piped oxygen was completed in the operating rooms, pre-and post-operative rooms.
- In March 2017 we received patient vital signs monitors, anesthesia and cauterizationequipment.
- In May 2017 we received funds for all furniture for the surgical center, which was purchased, delivered and assembled.
- The wall to partition the space between the two operating rooms was built in May 2017.
- Some modifications were made in the surgical center based on feedback during an onsite visit by the Holy Innocents team from San Diego in June 2017.
- In October 2017 we purchased a 150-liter autoclave for sterilization.
- The first general cleaning exercise for the whole building was performed in October 2017.
- In late October 2017 the second and third cleanings were done prior to setting up the rooms and setting up the equipment.
- In December 2017 we received the X-ray machine and which was installed.
- Also in December 2017, we tested and commissioned two generators,and groundbreaking for construction of the incineratorwere done.
Operating Room #1 Pre-op Room
We plan to start recruitment in Q1 2018and will be hiring the following personnel:
- Full time pediatric surgeon (1)
- Part-time pediatric/General surgeons (2)
- Anesthelogist (1) part-time
- Anesthesia Assistants (2) full time
- Nursing staff (14)
- Theater Attendants (3)
- Support staff (4)
- Laboratory staff (4)
See the Holy Innocents Children’s Hospital Facebook page for the latest updates and photos!